What do First-Line Supervisors of Correctional Officers do?
Directly supervise and coordinate activities of correctional officers and jailers.
- Maintain order, discipline, and security within assigned areas in accordance with relevant rules, regulations, policies, and laws.
- Take, receive, or check periodic inmate counts.
- Maintain knowledge of, comply with, and enforce all institutional policies, rules, procedures, and regulations.
- Respond to emergencies, such as escapes.
- Supervise and direct the work of correctional officers to ensure the safe custody, discipline, and welfare of inmates.
- Restrain, secure, or control offenders, using chemical agents, firearms, or other weapons of force as necessary.
- Resolve problems between inmates.
- Supervise or perform searches of inmates or their quarters to locate contraband items.
- Monitor behavior of subordinates to ensure alert, courteous, and professional behavior toward inmates, parolees, fellow employees, visitors, and the public.
- Complete administrative paperwork or supervise the preparation or maintenance of records, forms, or reports.
- Instruct employees or provide on-the-job training.
- Carry injured offenders or employees to safety and provide emergency first aid when necessary.
- Supervise activities such as searches, shakedowns, riot control, or institutional tours.
- Set up employee work schedules.
- Develop work or security procedures.
- Conduct roll calls of correctional officers.
- Supervise or provide security for offenders performing tasks, such as construction, maintenance, laundry, food service, or other industrial or agricultural operations.
- Rate behavior of inmates, promoting acceptable attitudes and behaviors to those with low ratings.
- Transfer or transport offenders on foot or by driving vehicles, such as trailers, vans, or buses.
- Convey correctional officers' or inmates' complaints to superiors.
- Review offender information to identify issues that require special attention.
- Examine incoming or outgoing mail to ensure conformance with regulations.
Related Jobs (First-Line Supervisors of Correctional Officers)